A Monthly Review: July Review and August Intentions
Each month I have a ritual of clearing out the bullshit that might have been my previous month, celebrating all the good stuff (a must) and then I create a space for the new month with three new words and goals to set my sails on a conscious course (inspired by the amazing Nicole Antoinette). I find it to be an intentional practice that creates a checks & balances type system, hello accountability and personal responsibility.
So, here we go, August 1, wake up, get up...
The two things I’m most celebrating from July are:
1) The hustle and the heart. I found myself more patient this month in regards to balancing time with full time work, mama life and wife life. I checked in to what felt exciting, what felt forced and what I want to create space for.
2) I am back in my running shoes! My training launched for my upcoming 1/2 marathon in October and I have been creating the time in my calendar to log the miles. Though I feel like walkers are passing me, I am out there creating my new stride. NOTE: I was talking to another Mama today and our egos would like shirts or tanks that read something like badass mom getting her stride post-baby. Something catchy, let us know...
The two things I’m most grateful for from July are:
1) My husband's relationship with our daughter. Their special before-bed-book is Dr. Seuss' 'The Lorax' and it is so much a heart melter to see him read to her and love her. My heart, making more room.
2) I have a new mantra on repeat when I am washing my face at night. It goes like this: "thank you body, thank you for supporting me". I get really grateful for my body that houses my brain to do big work. My body that carried our child and then delivered her safely earth side. My body that gets out to run. My body that is going to take all the time it needs to continue to restore and recover. Thank you, body.
Anything to release or let go of from July, speak now: I don't always have to be available. Put your phone down and allow the email inbox to be batched.
The lesson I learned and am carrying forward with me from July is: Eye contact is soul medicine. Be it your barista, your three month old daughter, your beloved, your best friend or a stranger at a stop light, look into the eyes. This is the magic.
My intention word(s) for August is/are: Connect & Create.
One thing I aim to do every day in August is: In bed and asleep by 10:30pm (starting tomorrow...).
Because I am brave, here are two new/scary things I will do in August:
1) I will travel for work. The airfare is booked, the breast milk is pumped and the agendas are written. Time to see how it feels to get back in the airplane saddle as a Mama! LA and Wisconsin, see you this month!
2) I will wear lingerie! I said it and I meant it. (You are welcome, honey!).
The one book I definitely want to read in August is: 'The Alchemist: A Fable about Following Your Dreams' by Paulo Coelho. We are reading this for my Novel Grapes online book club I lead on Facebook, join in here.
Just for fun, I will… get my hair cut and styled. It is way, way, way past due.
As an act of intentional kindness, I will… sign up to run the Pajama 5K in Denver, all proceeds to directly to buying sleeping bags for the homeless!
Your turn, explore your monthly review and get intentional with your month of August. No time like the present to get intentional and maybe press that RESTART button (or hell, even press START).
Happy August to you and you and you! Get outside!