A Monthly Review: September and October Intentions
Each month I have a ritual of clearing out the bullshit that might have been my previous month, celebrating all the good stuff (a must) and then I create a space for the new month with three new words and goals to set my sails on a conscious course (inspired by the amazing Nicole Antoinette). I find it to be an intentional practice that creates a checks & balances type system, hello accountability and personal responsibility.
So, here we go, October 1, wake up, get up...
The two things I’m most celebrating from September are:
1) My inaugural Novel Grapes Book Club Retreat in Grand Lake, Colorado was a goal come to life and much, much more than I could have ever imagined. The attendees were incredible, the book club conversations went deep and the Fall leaves changed on cue, the mountain weather was immaculate, my Dad was there as my 'manny (you know, male-nanny)' to watch Evi, and a sisterhood was created in 4 days that left an imprint on my heart and nourished my soul to the absolute brim. I celebrate the courage I had to put it out there and create from my heartspace.
2) And I am celebrating my dynamic life this month, as I travelled for work to LA and Des Moines to Rock the Bliss with Mary Beth LaRue for five full days away from Evi and I only had a major breakdown three times (all at the airports). I am a Mother AND and an entrepreneur, living my 'and' with purpose.
The two things I’m most grateful for from September are:
1) I am so, so, so, so grateful for family. My Dad flew in from Texas to watch Evi so I could lead book camp (and he could steal Grandpa time, my Mom is so jealous!). My husband drove up to book camp and upon arrival he immediately washed dishes, made fires and told me I was doing a great job. And my Mother-in-Law flew in to watch Evi for the five days I was flying around making bliss happen. Thankful for the village.
2) My little sister texted me this past month asking to come 'home' and hang with Chris, Evi and me. A dose of family goes a long way when feeling a bit of homesick your first weeks in college (she is an hour away at University of Northern Colorado, Go Bears!). I am grateful we have the relationship where she can call me and be honest about what she is feeling, it really makes me feel loved and the big sister role never, ever, ever gets old (even when she is all grown up).
Anything to release or let go of from September, speak now: I am releasing the pressure to make a round peg fit into a square hole. If whatever project I am working on does not organically flow, I have choice to start over, reach out for help, let it go and move on and last but not least, the all too often forgotten action of breathing.
The lesson I learned and am carrying forward with me from September is: Dear Self, you are so capable of more than you know. Take it one day at a time, one meeting at a time, one coffee cup at a time.
My intention word(s) for October is/are: JOY.
One thing I aim to do every day in October is: Write. I have joined a writer's workshop this month to continue to learn about my authentic voice. I will be committing to the space in my schedule to continue to create that portal for myself and others where I share my truth, express my thoughts and heal.
Because I am brave, here are two new/scary things I will do in October:
1) I will go on vacation. For some people this seems easy or luxurious, yet for me and my work ethic, this feels scary. I am off to Florida with my family this month and I do have some hours on the sand and red wine to sip with my family that feels essential to my soul.
2) I will create a LIVE online workshop for CORE VALUES and send each attendee their own core values deck that I had made!
Pssst, I totally (finally) wore the lingerie from my last month's intention blog. Nailed it.
Just for fun, I will… make a pact with my husband that every time the song 'My Boo' plays we absolutely have to stop what we are doing and do the Running Man Challenge dance. Public places, shower, bedroom, at the park...it is on.
As an act of intentional kindness, I will… send 6 snail mail postcards out to bring some love to your old school mailbox. Stamps purchased!
Your turn, explore your monthly review and get intentional with your month of October. No time like the present to get intentional and maybe press that RESTART button (or hell, even press START).
Happy October to you and you and you! I LOVE FALL!